Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Salted Caramels

This past week I've been obsessed with making caramels. Those of you who have made these sinfully delicious little treats know that it's not easy to make them. I tried 4 different recipes this week  .... the end results were .... too hard, too soft, crystalized sugar and burnt, respectively. I thought I was going crazy. I went through a set of emotions from ... never again I'll be making caramels to just one more try.  But no matter what, I was determined to make the perfect caramels .... I do love a challenge! Finally, I overcame my fear and succeeded with the most wonderful caramels! So here's the recipe for Salted Caramels .... and whatever you do, please DO NOT stir the sugar while it's cooking!

For about 30 caramels:

300 g Crème fraîche (can be found at whole food)
300 g sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla
60 g salted butter
a pinch of salt - fleur de sel

Line a small, rectangular shape cake pan with parchment paper - set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring the creme and vanilla to a slight boil.
Add sugar .... DO NOT FEEL THE NEED TO STIR THE SUGAR or it will crystalize.
Let sugar melt and take a dark honey color - about 20-25 minutes.
Once sugar has melted you may now stir the caramel.
Turn heat off and add butter - little pieces at a time.
Pour mixture into the prepared pan- the smaller the pan the thicker your caramel pieces will be.
Sprinkle salt.
Let cool at room temperature.
Once cool, refrigerate for 1 hour.
Cut into square pieces and enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. When you say vanilla, do you mean seeds, pod, essence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thank you for your comment.
    I used Vanilla essence for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...